The National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office presented itself as a Federal Government initiative with a wide-ranging mandate to promote Nigerian products, support businesses and drive the country’s transition to a production-led economy.
A check by a PUNCH correspondent of the organisation’s active website on Saturday showed that it described itself as a “strategic initiative” of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, dedicated to promoting the production, consumption and global visibility of locally made goods and services.
Made in Nigeria Project
It said its focus was on empowering small and medium-sized enterprises, stimulating industrial growth and repositioning Nigeria as a hub for homegrown innovation and sustainable development.
The organisation said it sought to “enhance self-reliance, reduce import dependence, and create jobs” through national programmes, trade exhibitions, economic forums and brand-development strategies.
What did it claim to do?
According to the website checked by PUNCH Online on Saturday, the organisation claimed a broad range of responsibilities.
Among its stated objectives were promoting awareness and consumption of Made-in-Nigeria products, encouraging local production, facilitating foreign direct investment through trade shows and economic forums, supporting government policies on industrialisation and job creation, and providing SMEs with tools, training and resources to compete in global markets.
It also claimed to drive Nigeria’s transition “from a consumption-driven to a production-led economy.”
Its stated core mandates included plans to “revive moribund factories” through investment models such as Build-Own-Operate-Transfer and foreign direct investment.
It also said it would develop a “National Labelling and Anti-Counterfeiting System” to improve product authenticity and quality assurance.
Other claimed functions included supporting national clusters, innovation hubs and research and development centres, as well as showcasing Nigerian products at expos, fairs and economic forums through a proposed National Products Gallery.
The organisation said it aimed to introduce and promote Nigerian brands at home and abroad, while its focus areas included local consumption, SME empowerment, standardisation, market access and strategic collaboration with government, the private sector and international institutions.
About its history?
The website claimed that the Made-in-Nigeria initiative was conceived in 2006 during the Nigeria-Singapore Economic Forum.
It said the initiative was later formalised under the leadership of Ambassador Chike Alex Anigbo (MNI) and approved by the Federal Executive Council in 2017.
According to the website, the project initially operated as a public-private partnership with Trade Nigeria and subsequently underwent “test cases” involving Nigeria and Ireland, South Korea, Singapore and Poland.
It claimed that the Made-in-Nigeria Project Office was eventually established under the OSGF, “cementing its role as a statutory national program.”
These historical and institutional claims appeared on the organisation’s website and are presented here as claims by the organisation.
PUNCH Online in an earlier report listed the names and images of the national coordinator, three zonal directors, 20 state coordinators and a foreign representatives to US and China.
What has the ICPC found?
The organisation’s claims of government affiliation have come under scrutiny following an investigation by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.
ICPC Chairman Musa Aliyu, SAN, said on Friday that the commission had uncovered the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office operating within the OSGF.
Aliyu said the office had been illegally allocated space within the OSGF premises, contrary to extant laws and without presidential authorisation.
He identified George Buchi Nwabueze as the promoter and said he operated under several variations of his name, including George Nathan, George Nathan Nwabueze, Honourable George Buchi Nwabueze, Prince George Buchi Nwabueze and George Nwabueze. ICPC also said there were suspected collaborators within the OSGF.
Following the briefing, President Bola Tinubu ordered the immediate arrest of Nwabueze and the suspension of three permanent secretaries — M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah.
More details about the newly uncovered ‘fake’ agency had yet to be made public.
How does it fit into the wider investigation?
The discovery followed the exposure of the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, whose self-styled director-general, Adeniyi Adeyemi, is facing prosecution over alleged forgery and impersonation.
An ICPC interim report submitted to Tinubu on August 6, after a 30-day investigation, also identified two other fictitious bodies — the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public-Private Partnership.
The National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office is therefore the fourth fictitious body uncovered in the investigation.
The case presents a striking contrast: while the organisation’s active website portrayed it as a government-backed national programme with extensive economic and industrial responsibilities, ICPC says the office was fictitious, unauthorised and had been allocated space within the OSGF.
The commission said its investigation is continuing.
Efforts made so far to reach the management of the acclaimed agency is abortive as of the time of filing the report as all three phone numbers on its website are switched off. Message sent to the acclaimed national cordinator by our correspondent has not been replied.
Recall that Tinubu had on Wednesday directed the commissioning of a comprehensive forensic investigation into the fictitious PFIPC scandal. This was after ICPC reported that it had uncovered multiple fake agencies.
The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed this while briefing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council meeting, presided over by Tinubu at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja, the council’s first sitting since June 29.
WARNING: If You Are Not 18+, Don’t Click The Link Below 👇🫣
Did you want to monetize your website, join MONETAG or ADSKEEPER and start earning
Please don’t forget to “Allow the notification” so you will be the first to get our gist when we publish it.
Drop your comment in the section below, and don’t forget to share the post.
Never Miss A Single News Or Gist, Kindly Join Us On WhatsApp Channel:
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vad8g81Eawdsio6INn3B
Telegram Channel:
https://t.me/gistsmateNG
