Some former domestic workers of ex-First Lady, Patience Jonathan, who are being held in the Okaka Custodial Centre, Bayelsa State, have decried their maltreatment and delayed trial, saying they are undergoing hardship and torture.
Two of the workers, who spoke exclusively to Saturday PUNCH on Friday, begged for help, saying they were languishing in prison.
Our correspondents gathered that the workers had been in the custodial centre since 2019, as their trial faced constant delays due to repeated adjournments.
Those affected are Williams Alami, Vincent Olabiyi, Ebuka Cosmos, John Dashe, Tamunokuro Abaku, Emmanuel Aginwa, Erema Deborah, Precious Kingsley, Tamunosiki Achese, Sunday Reginald, Vivian Golden, Emeka Benson, Boma Oba, Salomi Wareboka, and Sahabi Lima.
The defendants were brought before the High Court of Bayelsa sitting in Yenagoa, the state capital, in 2019.
They were accused of stealing seven gold bangles and jewellery, five Samsung air conditioners, two sets of upholstery chairs, and six Samsung flat-screen televisions valued at N200m.
They were also slammed with 18 counts bordering on conspiracy to commit murder, conspiracy to commit felony to wit: armed robbery, conspiracy to commit felony to wit: burglary and stealing, among others.
A charge read, “Golden Vivian, Erama Deborah, Precious Kingsley, Vincent Olabiyi, Ebuka Cosmos, Wiliams Alami, Tamunokuro Abaku, Boma Oba, Emmanuel Aginwa, Emeka Benson, Tamunosiki Achese Fiberesima, Wariboko Salome, Sahabi Liman, Reginald Sunday, John Dashe and others now at large, sometime in June 2019 at Otuoke community in Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, did conspire to kill Her Excellency Dame Patience Jonathan (former First Lady of the Federal Republic of Nigeria) and thereby committed an offence.”
One of the defendants, who spoke to Saturday PUNCH from prison, lamented that they were being unlawfully detained.
The detainee noted that up till that moment, the police had yet to present any evidence against them.
“We have been in prison since 2019. We were domestic staff of the former first lady, Patience Jonathan. In 2019, there was a case of breaking into one of her apartments in Otuoke, and she decided to arrest all her workers.
“We were not even working in that apartment; since then, there is no evidence to prove to the court, and the case is not proceeding; she is still waiting for witnesses to come till today,” the worker said.
The detained worker appealed for help.
“Please, we need your intervention. We need help,” the detainee noted.
Another inmate alleged that they were being maltreated on the orders of the former first lady.
The inmate said, “These people want to kill us. In this prison, they are threatening us. Anything you can do for us to leave here, please do. When I was at the station, they tortured us and (threatened) they would take us to the back and beat and hang us.
“After they beat us, she would be on the phone listening to our voices and telling them it was not enough that they should bring us to her hotel and house. That is how we have been treated.”
Families seek speedy trial
Some of the parents and siblings of the defendants called on the Attorney General of the Federation, the National Human Rights Commission, and the Chief Judge of Bayelsa State to bring an end to the continued incarceration of their family members.
Speaking to Saturday PUNCH about the issue, the sister of one of the detainees (Tamunosiki), Gladys Achese, expressed anguish over the imprisonment of her sister.
Achese demanded the release of the 36-year-old, adding that each time she visited her sister, she couldn’t help but cry.
“This is not a nice experience. It is usually traumatising whenever I visit my sister in prison. The day I went, I was just crying; she was the one consoling me,” Achese said.
She revealed that her parents had pleaded with Mrs Jonathan, but nothing meaningful came out of the visit.
Achese mentioned that her parents had been affected by the situation.
She said, “They have been shuttling between Bayelsa and Port Harcourt since 2019 to see her. I am not saying my sister is guilty or not, but the court should do the right thing and give them fair hearing.
“They should also preside over the matter and give judgment. They have been delaying everything for six years now. We demand that the court be allowed to do its job. It is a bailable offence; they should grant them bail, and they will go to the court session from their locations.”
Steve Ibiene, the brother of another detainee, William Alami, expressed sadness over the situation, stating that he had been upset since his brother was imprisoned.
Ibiene said, “We only want them to do what is right. Let the court try them quickly, and if they are guilty, then sentence them to serve their punishment. They should not just be kept in prison without being tried. An investigation should be carried out. No court has pronounced them guilty, yet they have been in prison for six years.
“If they are later found guilty, what will happen to the six years they have spent? They should release all of them. No court has said they are guilty of the crime.
“The first lady accused people of theft and took them to prison, not just to a cell. She has been the one frustrating the case because she is a powerful person. Every time they go to court, they say the prosecutor is not around.”
‘Ex-first lady never appeared in court’
Another relative, Boma Hubert, said his brother, Reginald Sunday, who was working in the former first lady’s hotel in Otuoke, was accused of stealing jewellery at the presidential villa in Abuja.
He described the continued detention of his brother as illegal, attributing it to the failure of the former first lady to appear in court since the case commenced in 2019.
Hubert said, “She (Patience Jonathan) has never appeared in court since the case started in 2019. The court was sitting twice a month before, but since 2023, the court has been sitting only once a month.
“The judge told us earlier this year that the case may be thrown out since the former first lady has never appeared in court, but nothing has been done to release them. I suspect that she (Patience Jonathan) is using her influence and power to ensure that they are not released.”
Similarly, the father of another defendant, Offor Cosmos, said he was exhausted, adding that his wife nearly died when the situation occurred.
Cosmos stated that his son had gone to Bayelsa to work for the former first lady, adding that he never expected things to turn out this way.
He said, “My son is suffering. He has pile and it is disturbing him seriously. I want the government to help me because I do not know what is happening. The woman should leave my son.”
Case suffers 40 adjournments
Saturday PUNCH learnt that efforts by a human rights organisation, Tech4Justice, to secure the release of the defendants on bail were frustrated.
The organisation accused the Bayelsa State judiciary of succumbing to pressure from influential individuals close to the former first lady.
Providing insight into the challenges surrounding the case, a legal associate of the group, Funmi Adedoyin, said the prosecution had yet to close its case, adding that the accused persons had not opened their defence.
She revealed that the matter had been adjourned more than 40 times between 2019 and 2025.
Adedoyin said, “We have filed applications, made representations, and sought bail on many occasions. But the judiciary appears unwilling to proceed with the case. These young men and women have been forgotten in prison.
“Due to the political weight of the complainant in the matter, we have encountered several hurdles. The judge who was handling the case was later elevated to the position of Chief Judge of Bayelsa State.
“Since her elevation, it has been difficult for her to combine administrative duties with presiding over this particular case. She is often away on official assignments. However, in recent times, she has begun to give the matter some attention, with efforts towards accelerated hearing.”
The lawyer also lamented the frequent absence of police prosecutors in court, saying it had further stalled proceedings.
“For the past two adjournments, last month and again on Wednesday this week, the case could not proceed because the police prosecutor was absent. Several police officers have handled the case, and most of them have been transferred out of Bayelsa, with some now serving in Lagos and other places. They often give excuses about being on special assignments.
“Many of the adjournments have been due to the absence of police witnesses. Also, the general slow pace of justice in Nigeria contributes to the delay, especially as courts went on vacation for several months,” she said.
Adedoyin said efforts were made to secure the detainees’ bail, but the applications were denied at the early stage of the trial.
“They have been behind bars. We applied for bail at the beginning of the case, but it was denied. The trial has been ongoing, but several factors have delayed it until now,” she said.
She expressed sadness over the plight of one of the female defendants who lost her child while in custody and was unable to attend the funeral.
“Three of the defendants are currently on bail on health grounds, including one who had tuberculosis,” the counsel added.
‘Charged for conspiracy to kill’
Adedoyin noted that rather than investigate those directly involved in the theft, the police arrested all domestic staff on the alleged instruction of the complainant.
She revealed that beyond what was being reported, the 15 domestic staff were charged with conspiracy to kill the former first lady.
“Everyone in the villa was arrested. The police know that stealing is a bailable offence. Because of that, they charged them with another offence entirely different from the alleged theft of the jewellery – conspiracy to kill Madam Patience Jonathan. This is another exposé on what happened.”
“This was to ensure that they would not have any means of escape. The police did not even have any evidence suggesting that these people were armed. That is why it has been very difficult to secure their bail,” she added.
Efforts to get a reaction from Mrs Jonathan proved abortive.
Calls and messages to the Media Adviser of the Jonathan family, Mr Ikechukwu Eze, were not responded to as of the time of filing this report.
WARNING: If You Are Not 18+, Don’t Click The Link Below 👇🫣
https://disloyalmoviesfavor.com/m3e85u39j?key=f0014e9d9438d5115e4d66e73ca3f04b
https://poawooptugroo.com/4/8902554
Please don’t forget to “Allow the notification” so you will be the first to get our gist when we publish it.
Drop your comment in the section below, and don’t forget to share the post.
Never Miss A Single News Or Gists, Kindly Join Us On WhatsApp Channel:
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vad8g81Eawdsio6INn3B
Telegram Channel:
https://t.me/gistsmateNG